Good Morning All,

The approximately 8 inches of snow and colder weather prompted me to go to the Red Rocks feeders early this morning and scatter some seed. Listening to the cries of the Peregrine Falcons while watching the Golden-crowned Sparrow under the platform feeder is a special treat. The Adult Golden-crowned Sparrow is molting and looks a little scruffy at present in contrast to the 'clean-cut' appearance of the Gambell's White-crowned Sparrow. A lone Pine Siskin was a new addition to the feeder birds at Red Rocks. Still lots of juncos with Pink-sided and Gray-headed present in good numbers and a few Oregon and Slate- colored. Saw the Pink-sided x Gray-headed cross as well. Other birds included several Black-billed Magpies, the usual number of W. Scrub-Jays, (the hoarse call of the Common Ravens on Creation Rock could be heard along with the Peregrines), a couple of Black- capped Chickadees, several Robins looking for worms along the rivulet under the platform feeder, several Spotted Towhees and Song Sparrows, and 25+ House Finches including a yellow variant, one with a white dollop on the forehead, and a House
Finch with a mostly white head.

Stopped by the backside of Ship Rock and was rewarded with the male Peregrine bringing prey to the female (calling loud and incessantly). The Common Ravens are still coming to their nest on Creation Rock) and trying to stay out of the way of the Peregrines. Stopped at Park Cave Rock, but did not see either of the Prairie Falcons. I believe the female started incubating last week, so we will only get glimpses of the male bringing prey back to the eyrie (didn't have time to wait this morning).

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County