Birders,

An adult Neotropic (or is that Olivaceous?) Cormorant was at John Martin Reservoir. I saw it with a large group of Double-crested Cormorants on the south side of the reservoir about 1/4 mile west of the dam. The area has a gravel bar that just into the lake and makes a curl at the tip. The cormorants swam in the bay just north of this gravel bar. This particular cormorant was exciting for me, as it was the first adult in breeding plumage I'd seen in Colorado, complete with noticeable white plumes on the cheeks. As I was watching it, it flew and landed close to the dam, and disappeared among the throng of other cormorants.

I have every expectation that this bird could hang around. Patience might be required, as there may be more Double-crested Cormorants on the reservoir than one might think possible. I think there are over 1000 on the reservoir. There are multiple shoreline roosts covered with cormorants scattered around the lake, which, at 9 percent of capacity (due to the cataclysmic drought here) is still a very large body of water.

No snow here today, but it is cold and windy.

Respectfully,
Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO