I saw three species of longspur in the area north - northeast of Panama
Reservoir today
between 10:30 am and 2:30 pm.  McCowan's Longspurs were in the greatest
numbers (several dozen), Chestnut-collared (~6 -- good looks through my
spotting scope at 3 males and 1 female on the north side of Oxford Rd. a
little east of 115th St.), and 3 Lapland (2 immatures and 1 striking
adult).  I saw the adult about 10:30 am on the north side of Oxford Rd.,
west of 115th.  One of the immature Laplands was in a small flock of
McCowan's Longspurs and Horned Larks on 115th on a small rise about 1/2
mile south of Oxford Rd.; the other was in another small (~18 birds) flock
of Horned Larks and McCowan's Longspurs on Oxford east of 115th.

The immature Lapland Longspurs had the beginnings of the striking white "v"
lines on their partly dark heads.

The longspurs were in smallish flocks with very large numbers of Horned
Larks.  Lots of robins,
meadowlarks, mourning doves, and (locally) Killdeer and Sage Thrashers were
on the sides of the roads in late morning until mid afternoon when the road
scraper arrived.

Paula Hansley
Louisville