Hello Folks,

Rob Raker and I were able to observe the Golden-crowned Sparrow and Lincoln's Sparrow early this morning at the feeders behind the Red Rocks Trading Post. The Slate-colored Fox Sparrow was a no-show in the 45 minutes we were there, but Kiki Widjaja reported seeing the Fox Sparrow as well as the Lincoln's and Golden-crowned on Sunday morning. A Mountain Chickadee was a recent addition to the regulars at the feeders.

We then went to Ship Rock, and the Peregrines did not disappoint us. The female perched on a juniper snag on the hillside west of the Upper South Parking Lot the whole time we were there - she did turn around on the snag once. With the sun behind us, we had great looks through our scope and studied her in detail. When we first arrived the male was perched high on Ship Rock. We saw him leave Ship Rock several times and come back and land in different spots on Ship Rock (near the previous upper left eyrie, the previous lower right eyrie, an old Raven nest on the north end). Wonder if the pair is trying to decide on an eyrie location??? In addition, the male dove on a flicker from one of his perches (unsuccessfully as the flicker did a frantic vertical dive as well and escaped). During the time we were there, the pair did some calling (female most vocal), and the male flew down and the pair copulated on the juniper snag. A busy morning at Ship Rock! Kiki Widjaja had much the same experience on Sunday morning, so it's a good time to watch the Peregrines. As a side note, the Ravens are still nesting on the west end of Creation Rock. We saw the male come and go several times, and once the female joined him and left the nest for about two minutes.

We did not see the Prairie Falcons at Park Cave Rock - my thought is that the female is sitting on eggs in the eyrie and the male is out hunting.

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County