For anyone who looked at the pictures and still wasn't sure what the bird
was, there is general agreement that it is a juvenile Herring Gull.

I never like looking as if I don't know things, but I figure I have two
choices.  1) Don't ask, and people won't realize that I don't know things.
The drawback is that I would continue to not know anything.  Or, 2) Ask,
let people know that I don't know, and then learn.  Option 2 always seems
better.  We have such a vast collection of great resources (people) here in
Colorado that it seems silly not to take advantage of it.  It's like having
our own personal Ornithopedia (if you don't mind that I butcher the Latin
language a bit).

Thanks to everyone that took the time to look at the pictures, and extra
thanks to everyone who took extra time to respond.  I appreciate it.

John Breitsch
Denver, Colorado
http://www.flickr.com/photos/breitschbirding/