Joe might do Mother's Day in Phillips County, but I try to head SE on this
weekend.  Here are some highlights from today-Limon to La Junta the long way.
The day featured wave after wave of sparrows-mainly Chipping and Lark, but also
one or two to many of Grasshopper, Vesper, Brewer's, Clay-colored,
White-crowned and Song.

In Limon, the wetlands at the east end of town were particularly good.  The
signal was a Northern Waterthrush right after you walk under the RR tracks.  I
counted 135 Wilson's Phalaropes on the far pond and also had Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher and Clay-colored Sparrow.

Kit Carson (town not county) had 127 more Wilson's Phalaropes (I kept counting
in hopes of Red-necked, none found, but I got over 400 Wilson's for the day),
and Eared Grebe and Swainson's Thrush.  South of town on the old road I had
Bullock's Oriole and a spotty Summer Tanager.

County Hall in Eads was absent of anything other than House Sparrows and
Great-tailed Grackles.  That was a disappointment for a place that usually
produces one or two interesting things.  Elsewhere in town, however, I found a
White-winged Dove.  Going into Nee Noshe I had to beat off the sparrows, but
the lake itself is drying up.  Nee Gronde was well stocked with
shorebirds-about a dozen species including Willet, 7 Black-bellied Plover, one
Snowy Plover, Baird's, Least, Semi-palmated Sandpiper, etc.  Also FOS Black
Terns for me.

When I got to Tempel Grove it was raining and very windy, so birding there was
not particularly productive.  I did get a Swainson's Thrush.  Maybe tomorrow
I'll try again.  Adobe Creek is lower than I've ever seen it and no longer fun
to bird.  But I did have seven Chihuahuan Ravens on the way in and four Scaled
Quail on the way out.

Bill Kaempfer
Boulder