Brandon Percival received a message today (Sunday) that a birder friend had
seen a male CERULEAN WARBLER with other migrant
warblers on Friday, May 10, at a SW Denver cemetery. I went over to Fort
Logan Cemetery at about 4 PM and stayed an hour.
It was peaceful. The neat array of identical, white, military
headstones was undisturbed by rare warblers. I did see a few Yellow-rumps
and a Virginia's Warbler, but nothing else of note.

The habitat was not very lush and did not appear enticing enough to support
a flock of warblers for any longer than it takes to blow taps.
(No disrespect intended). These are hallowed grounds.

Directions, if you care to try Monday AM:

>From Hampden Avenue in southwest Denver drive south on South Sheridan, past
a couple of minor entrances and turn left (east)
at the main entrance gates marked by a large concrete sign with gold
letters saying "Fort Logan National Cemetery."
Drive a short distance and park at the first building, the visitor's
center. Here you will find a map of the place.

You will find yourself on the shore of the upper of two large linear lakes.
This upper lake is manicured, without any underbrush
or unkempt spots and was not birdy today. Walking east, staying on the
north shore, you will drop down to the lower lake. On its north side there
is better
habitat, with some shrubs under tall trees. That is where I found the
warblers (maybe 6 in all), 3 chickadees, two Western Grebes.
Did I mention "not much?"

If you have time on your hands consider following the watercourse below the
lower dam as it meanders and flows through historically
productive warbler habitat, down through Bear Creek Park to its junction
with Bear Creek. (You might want to hike back to your car and drive to that
park before you leave the cemetery). If you find a Cerulean Warbler, please
phone me at 303 204-0828 and I will post it on Cobirds at once  from my
speeding vehicle.

Joe Roller, Denver