Greetings All

Sorry for the barrage of varied emails re: SE Colorado this weekend
I won't duplicate my email re: Friday in Bent.
I will repeat myself in giving a million thank you's to Duane Nelson for
guiding us about on Friday and for the use of his binoculars, without which,
this weekend would've not been possible for me. My binoculars also thank him
for the much needed rest.

So, Glenn Walbek gave an excellent listing of birds from Two Buttes. Note that
the long list was of birds seen at Two Buttes SWA on Saturday morning. Yes, all
of those birds at that location on just that morning (the shorter list at end
is of birds seen elsewhere in SE Colorado).
Glenn was unaware of the :
BROAD-WINGED HAWK
SUMMER TANAGER
That we had at Two Buttes after he departed.

Also, he inadvertently left out the RUSSET-BACKED (Swainson's) THRUSH (refer to
your last issue of Colorado Birds), and VEERY that were also present that
glorious morning. Also notable were a goodly 7 or so Common Poorwill that
littered the ground there.

Interestingly, on Saturday, landbirding was otherwise slow. Glenn gave me a
report of but a few odds-and-ends at Lamar Community College, and David Dowell
and I drove all of the way to Burchfield SWA in e. Baca County for only:
2 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS
INDIGO BUNTING
SUMMER TANAGER

At Fairmont Cemetery in Lamar (Saturday as well), we had a BLACKPOLL WARBLER
and a GRAY-HEADED JUNCO.
In a temporarily flooded field near Wiley (n of Lamar) we had 3 WHIMBREL and a
SB DOWITCHER
At Neegronda Reservoir we had 4 BB PLOVER, 2 WHIMBREL, 29 SANDERLING

Today, Sunday, David and I started at the Lamar Community College. There we had
2 N PARULA
1 BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER
1 VIRGINIA'S WARBLER
1 WINTER WREN
1 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK

At Tempel Grove, we had
1 NASHVILLE WARBLER
1 RUSSET-BACKED THRUSH

Near Seibert, Kit Carson County, we had a BROAD-WINGED HAWK

At Flagler SWA, we had a Bill Kaempfer. We also had
1 CASSIN'S KINGBIRD
1 VIRGINIA'S WARBLER
3 BALTIMORE ORIOLES
1 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK
AND 5 tardy CACKLING GEESE

At Last Chance,
1 GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH
1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
2 GRAY-HEADED JUNCOS

It was an interesting weekend in other ways. Stuff was definitely off-schedule.
Orioles were relatively scarce compared with the same weekend last year (about
1/4 number) but WC Sparrows and Spotted Towhees were off the charts, 10x as
numerous. I get the feeling that for landbirds, we are having a spring (this
pertains to regular migrants, not necessarily rarities) during which stuff has
been rather late to depart and arrive. Makes sense giving the weather, but
nonetheless somewhat notable. This is especially true as waterfowl, grebes, etc
have not been tardy in departing compared with last year (at least as I've
experienced such) but shorebirds were incredibly early.

Enough musings and not enough sleep

Good Birding
Steve Mlodinow
Longmont CO