For those of you that may remember my posts from last year (or perhaps the
write-up on this story in the CFO Journal last winter); we had a male
broad-tailed hummingbird that I first noticed in May of 2012 sometime at our
home here in Teller County.

I noticed that it was consistently (100% of the time) choosing to roost on a
small twig of a douglas-fir, over my walkway, next to my hot tub. It
continued to roost on the same twig at the same precise location every night
until August 22 of last year, and I haven't seen it since. It would always
come in after sundown, but before complete dark, and settle into his spot
and slip into his torpor for a good night's sleep. We nicknamed him Kotter
after the 70's sitcom - "Welcome Back Kotter".

This year, against all hope, we have kept vigil since late April and been
checking that little twig over our walkway most every night after sunset.
You have guessed it; tonight we have a male broad-tailed hummingbird on that
little twig in the same exact spot.

Obviously, this is no guarantee that the two birds are the same individual;
but it does seem possible, even probable. After a migration south last fall
of perhaps several hundred miles, and again back north just now of the same
distance; and the fact that the average life span (as reported on Wikipedia)
is no longer than 3-5 years; we consider ourselves lucky to feasibly have
the same individual back.

I will again keep tabs on his comings and goings and maybe find out
something new about hummingbird behavior again this year!

Jeff J Jones

( <mailto:jjo...@jonestc.com> jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands