I found two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in Boulder today, although the second one
(a female) was in my yard, so I guess it found me. I found a singing male at
Eldorado Mountain. I was hiking the Fowler Trail and came down a canyon path
from that trail to Eldorado Springs Drive (Hwy 170). The RBGR was less than 100
yards above the irrigation canal that is not far south of the road. The
shortest way to get there would be from Eldorado Springs Drive rather than from
the Fowler Trail, but it could be difficult to find that trailhead which is
behind a couple of houses. The longer way to get there is what I did. Driving
west on Hwy 170, you pass Dowdy Draw and turn south at the sign for the
Eldorado Mountain Ashram which dead ends at the trail head for the Fowler
Trail. The trail goes south a short ways and then has a hairpin turn to the
north, then a turn west and north. About 200 feet before that stretch to the
north turns west is where a little trail drops down to the right and turns
north to descend a little canyon down to Eldorado Springs. That's where the
Rose-breasted Grosbeak was. Hooded Warblers have nested along the Fowler Trail
and it's always good for Virginia's Warblers.
David Waltman
Bouder