The birds behaved quite strangely today.  Almost no activity during the
cool, crisp, sunny early morning hours.  Then, a burst of activity
(including about half of the birds captured) about 11 a.m. as the
temperature climbed and we tried to get the nets closed.  Not a lot of
variety - Yellow Warblers and Lincoln Sparrows continued to dominate.  We
know there are tons of our breeders around, but they weren't very active
today.  (House Wren females are laying eggs, which may be the reason the
HOWRs are less active.) Here's the breakdown of the 27 banded and 2 returns
for the day:

House Wren       1

Gray Catbird       2

Yellow Warbler 7 new, 2 returns (both banded last year)

Clay-colored Sparrow     1 (FOS, and an unusual species for this station)

Lincoln's Sparrow             5

White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain        1

Red-winged Blackbird    2

Brown-headed Cowbird               2

House Finch       3

American Goldfinch        3

Open daily, weather permitting, through next Sunday, June 2.  I've been
saying come early because of the heat, but now I'm not sure about that
advice!  (Really, early should be better!)  We do have school groups
scheduled for Wed-Fri, from about 9 a.m. on, so on those days early really
is best.

Meredith McBurney

Biologist/Bander

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory

303-329-8091

Celebrating 25 Years of Bird and Habitat Conservation