Today's weather was cool and calm and it was a rare weekday without a school
group, so we took our time enjoying the total of 33 birds captured (24 new,
2 returns from prior years, 7 recaps from this year).  Picked up our 51st
(Lesser Goldfinch) and 52nd  (Red-shafted Flicker) species for the year.
Birds are really showing signs of breeding; in addition to the notes below,
we caught several pairs of Yellow Warblers side by side in the net, and in
our spare time watched a Broad-tailed Hummingbird build her nest in a tree
near the banding station.  Breakdown of new birds for the day:

Downy Woodpecker      1 (Female with brood patch)

Red-shafted Flicker         1 (Female with brood patch)

Western Wood-pewee 2

Gray Catbird       7

Yellow Warbler 5 new (including 2 males ready to breed) and 2 returns (1
breeding male from 2012 and 1 female from 2009)

Common Yellowthroat  2

Yellow-breasted Chat    2

Lincoln's Sparrow             1

Song Sparrow    1 (Male in breeding condition)

Bullock's Oriole 1

Lesser Goldfinch              1

As noted, we are in  our last week; final day will be this Sunday, June 2.

Meredith McBurney

Biologist/Bander

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory

303-329-8091

Celebrating 25 Years of Bird and Habitat Conservation