Thanks to all for another great CFO convention!  A few photos are on my
website.  http://www.kayniyo.com/trip_CFO_13.htm

Mary Cay and Tom Burger and I birded our way out to Cortez on May 15,
stopping at Antero and other spots.  We toured fascinating Mesa Verde on the
16th.  Doug Faulkner led us on an excellent trip to the NW of Cortez and
found great birds and rescued "cars" and people from a W rattlesnake!  Then
Sat. Ted Floyd took us up to ~9000' where we were able to watch a Dusky
Grouse booming.  Ted turned a few photographers loose to get closer for
photos.  My experience has been that DUGR are not shy!  This one just walked
slowly up his log and kept on booming with several photographers following
him!  Lots of Grace's Warblers everywhere.  And one flyby-western Purple
Martin!  The last day, deep snow had caused road closures, so in order to
begin the long trek home, we were forced to forego John Drummond's trip into
high country to the NE of Cortez.  Instead we drove from Durango, Silverton,
Ouray, Montrose and home via Black Canyon of the Gunnison.  We were
astounded at all the snow, having just left the Cortez area where they are
in their 3rd year of a drought.  Beautiful state of Colorado!  Perhaps one
of our birding spots with the most variety was the Mancos City Park along
the Mancos R on the way home!  We even had a flock of Evening Grosbeaks
feeding in the cottonwoods.  Tons of Pine Siskins everywhere!  Most of the
species were concentrating their feeding in the narrowleaf cottonwood
catkins (pollen protein, insects, seeds already?).

Thanks again to all those who helped to make another CFO convention so much
fun!

Kay

Kayleen A. Niyo, Ph.D.

Niyo Scientific Communications