Cobirds:
              Long winded perhaps, but some info for Boulder area and
comments about hummingbirds.

              Ovenbirds have returned to Boulder Mountain Park.  One heard
where Bear Creek intersects with the Mesa Trail singing frequently.   Good
spots to listen for them traditionally have been:  The beginning of the
Royal Arch Trail where a few picnic tables are located just over the wooden
bridge;  also along the Bluebell Trail from Gregory Canyon to the Royal
Arch Trail; and as mentioned, Bear Creek \ Bear Canyon where it intersects
the Mesa Trail.   I contend that they nest in Boulder Mt. Park - others
disagree.  Unless we find a nest, we can't be certain.  FYI:  ovenbirds
sing in areas of mixed conifers and deciduous trees especially ponderosa -
AND near thickets of poison ivy.  You don't go to ovenbirds, ovenbirds come
to you.  Plus they are wonderful ventriloquists - so finding them is
frustrating.

               Indigo bunting - a beautiful male singing from the top of a
tree about 1 mile up into the Bear Creek Canyon trail complex.  Indigo
buntings are regular summer guests - also suspected of breeding on Boulder
Open Space properties.  Traditional places to see them:  1) Doudy Draw
complex, - which unfortunately is closed to hikers, as a seasonal protected
area.  2) Towhee Trail - watch and listen in the riparian section.  And 3)
The first 1/2 mile of the Flagstaff Mt. Trail from Gregory Canyon parking
lot.

                Bear Creek riparian section is a real hot spot now - from
Bear Creek Drive up to the Mesa Trail intersection.  Early morning is best.

Some birds from Boulder Mt. Park this weekend:
Three toed woodpecker - Bear Peak fire burn area
Cordilleran flycatcher
Dusky flycatcher
Warbling vireo
Plumbeous vireo
Western tanager - lots in the Bear Canyon area - I stopped counting after 25
Lazuli bunting
Green tailed towhee
Spotted towhee (of course!)
Black headed grosbeak - numerous
Bullock's oriole - good numbers
House wren - everywhere
Blue gray gnatcatcher
Bushtit
Pine siskin - in good numbers at different elevations

Re:  Broad tailed hummingbirds:  I saw comment about hummers posted
earlier.  I can report that numbers are good in Gregory Canyon \ Flagstaff
Mt. area, and seem pretty good throughout Boulder Mt. Park.  Likewise Rocky
Mt. National Park, Estes Park, and Lyons all seem to have good numbers and
vigorous displays of males.  Perhaps there are local die-offs elsewhere,
but I haven't really seen a change in numbers.  What baffles me, is how
they survived the April snowstorms.   Would like to hear more
discussion.....

And lastly (whew).... If you see snakes regularly (say behind your house),
I'd love to photograph them, if you not far away.  Or if you need help with
ID, removal, etc, etc.  -  Thanks.   Email me offline, of course.

Forgot:  Cow Creek trail in Rocky Mt. National Park has singing olive sided
flycatchers and ruby crowned kinglets.

Cheers,   John T (Tumasonis) of Louisville CO