Greetings -

Well, with spring migration coming to a halt, I figured it would be a good
time to try for some of the resident birds out on the Pawnee Grasslands and
at Crow Valley Campground.  I decided to camp overnight, so I wouldn't have
to ride back the same day.  Yesterday was a good day for biking and
birding.  Nice temps, and almost no wind.  I saw most of my grassland
targets, including mountain plover, burrowing owl, sage thrasher, lark
bunting, and McCown's longspur.  At Crow Valley CG, I added northern
mockingbird, brown thrasher, orchard oriole and blue-gray gnatcatcher.  The
large numbers of Swainson's thrushes reported recently have dwindled - I
saw two individuals. The bike ride back today was spent fighting a 20-30
mph crosswind (not in the forecast!), and I did not add any new birds on
the ride back home.

My year total is now at 173 species.  I think the rest of the year will
consist of adding a new species here or there, but I don't anticipate any
more big days.  I continue to enjoy this project, and all of the good birds
and exercise it is bringing.

Rick Schroeder
Fort Collins, CO