Birders,

Early this afternoon, I found an adult, light phase Pomarine Jaeger while working at Adobe Creek Reservoir. It was on the shoreline, and swimming just offshore on the east side of the point of land that juts north into the lake in the SW corner of the Reservoir. As it seems to be flighty and healthy, I doubt this is the bird reported from Antero Reservoir, several hundred miles distant.

I got to observe the dark cap, fleshy tone at the base of the bill, heavy dark breast band and spectacular rounded racquet-tipped tail. I also got to observe the large size and bulky proportions.

Access for close views is made difficult by the dredging project separating the north and south (dry) parts of the lake, which makes walking closer impossible. Please respect endangered species closure signs.

I'm heading back to take photos, so forgive me if this brief posting sounds disjointed.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO