I'm pretty sure that few of you know this about me, but 12 years ago this week
I was stuck in Newfoundland.  On September 11, 2001 I was on a flight from
London to Chicago that changed my life forever.  Shortly after our inflight
lunch service, the plane slowed abruptly and made a sharp turn to the right
toward Greenland.  The pilot came on the intercom with words that I will never
forget.  "I want to assure everyone of the integrity of the aircraft, but there
has been a situation in the U.S. that is causing us to land in Newfoundland.
I'll let you know more when I can."

Shortly thereafter we landed in Gander, Newfoundland-the 42nd of 43 planes to
land there that day; and then we sat.  23 hours on the plane on the tarmac
before we could finally get off the plane and enter that tiny airport.  Then
off on school busses to Gambo, Newfoundland where I spent the better part of
the rest of the week sleeping on a wooden pew in a Salvation Army Church by the
side of a stony inlet in this little hamlet.

It wasn't too long before one of the wonderfully welcoming Gambo-ites came in
and asked if anybody needed anything.   So that is how this group of stranded,
frightened travelers got showers, did laundry and came to know the residents of
Gambo.

For my part, I asked, "Can I borrow a pair of binoculars?"  So I was set up the
rest of the week with my pair of borrowed binoculars to bird the rock shore and
pine-wooded hills of Gambo.  Now I didn't see all that much, of course.  That
possible Ringed Plover (I was in northeastern Newfoundland, after all) was
really only a Killdeer, but it kept my mind off of what everyone in the rest of
the world was preoccupied with.  What a blessing a pair of non-too-great, but
still functional binoculars was.

Sorry for the long intro, but that brings me to the point, does anyone need me
to try to find some of the tools of our love for you?  Binoculars, bird books
or whatever?  If any of you Cobirds readers needs some peace of mind that can
only be afforded by being out in the field looking at birds, but you have,
because of the events of the past week, lost your binoculars, field guides or
even scope and tripod, please let me know and I will bring to bear all of the
resources and compassion of the CFO to try to set you right for the time being.
 I know how important that can be.

Bill Kaempfer
President, Colorado Field Ornithologists
Boulder