Unexpected time off and beautiful weather provided another opportunity to
enjoy migration on the plains.  Orange-Crowed Warblers were widespread,
seen during every stop.  Yellow-Rumped Warblers were seen during most
stops, sometimes in small numbers, sometimes in very large numbers.
 Chipping and Clay-Colored sparrows continue, joined more recently by the
White-Crowned Sparrows.

At Prewitt Reservoir (Washington County) on Oct 1, the inlet canal was
running like a river, and water already covers what had been the shorebird
habit in August and September.  The birds were in their more typical cool
season locations:  many passerines below the dam, gulls where the inlet
canal enters the lake, and hardly any passerines upstream along the inlet
canal.  Highlights included an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL and a Common
Tern near the inlet canal and two FIELD SPARROWS below the dam.

Flagler SWA (Kit Carson County) was still fairly birdy, particularly near
the picnic area on the east side and below the dam.  The most interesting
birds I could find were a late Hammond's Flycatcher, a late Lazuli Bunting,
and a probable Broad-Winged Hawk.

I started yesterday morning (Oct 2) at the Lamar Community College woods
(Prowers County).  The situation was much like that described by Dave
Leatherman in mid September, with warblers and hummingbirds particularly
concentrated at the north end in and near the willows.  Bird numbers are
decreasing, as expected  I photographed three hummingbirds, all
immature/female types.  Field marks for two looked good for Black-Chinned,
and the third appeared to be a RUBY-THROATED (green crown, darker mask,
shorter bill, thinner and straighter wing tips).  Among the many
Orange-Crowned and Wilson's Warblers were two NASHVILLE WARBLERS.

The rest stop just east of Holly (Prowers County) was fairly birdy.  As was
the case throughout the region, it was also very buggy, more summer-like.
 Two YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS were the highlight at the rest area.

During the eastern Colorado tour, I checked several cemeteries with pine
trees for goodies such as pine warblers but didn't find any.  At the
Burlington cemetery (Kit Carson County), I flushed an unidentified nightjar
sp.

The most interesting birds found while driving were (1) a Lewis's
Woodpecker on a pole near Bristol (Prowers County) and (2) an early
Rough-Legged Hawk seen from I-70 near Byers (Arapahoe County).

David Dowell
Longmont, CO