Hi Cobirders October means Eight Month . I know it is the tenth month. Do not blame me, blame the Roman Senate (2000 years ago) honored the two Caesers Julius and Augustus creating months in the summer each with an extra day taken from February thus July and August.

I started feeding here Oct. first. Slow going. Up to 30 House Sparrows , 6 House Finches, 2 Black-capped Chickadees and a couple of
Blue Jays most days.

Eurasian Collared Doves ( i call them Eco Doves ) hard to count on the feeder drum about 14 with 10 waiting a chance to get on. They now roost during the day on the wire with 2 on the utility pole the rest either side. Easier to count 24. Last fall there were 3 flocks very near my place with a total of about 50. The pole is across the street at the back of the lot next house north.

Highlight specie was a small bird in the feeder by the kitchen window. It was about 5" with bright blue head,back wings (no bars) and upper tail, with under parts white. I only had about 2 second look before it went out into the Choke Cherry and quickly up to the top. This was on Sunday Oct. 15 in the afternoon. The Choke Cherry had all its leaves still green. The bird did not return. Think might have been an escape. Two weeks later all the leaves had turned gold and were mostly on the ground.

November is already better for birds here.   Sorry I am now even slower.

Keep watching.

Bob Spencer N.E. of Golden