Folks- on Sunday, 15 December 33 teams fanned out across the Boulder CBC
circle.  The morning delivered lovely, crisp counting conditions but by the
afternoon teams were encountering gale force winds.  Most still water bodies
were frozen (the Valmont complex had plenty of open water, of course) and
nearly any territory with creek or ditch components had significant impacts
from our recent flooding.  Despite these challenges we provisionally tallied
104 species for the day, with 4 more coming in on count week.  I still have
reports outstanding so perhaps we'll tick another sp. or two in the coming
days...

Our highlights include a Northern Cardinal back for another winter (last year
was the first occurrence of this species on the Boulder count), Greater Scaup
(4th in 72 counts), Great-tailed Grackle (6th occurrence), Lesser Black-backed
Gull (7th occurrence), Tundra Swan, Gray Jay, & Lincoln's Sparrow (8th
occurrence each.)

Notable misses, seen at least 30 times prior on the Boulder CBC, include
White-throated Sparrow (34 prior counts), Red Crossbill (36 prior), Evening
Grosbeak (49 prior), and Ring-necked Pheasant (53 prior.)

Count week is still ongoing through tomorrow- if you are in or near Boulder and
have a potentially interesting bird to report from 12-18 December let me know.

Thanks to all of our awesome territory leaders and to everyone who
participated.  Also big thanks to Petreah Mah and Bill Kaempfer for
respectively organizing and hosting our compilation potluck.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the CBC season- happy counting!!

-Bill Schmoker, Longmont
           • Bill Schmoker •