While birding Union Reservoir that was largely devoid of birds  yesterday,
we happened on a corvid foraging in some pine trees.  Our  first impression
was crow-sized but with binoculars we could see a raven tail,  bill and
chough.  The bill and chough were not quite up to what we expect  Common Ravens
to look like so we were thinking maybe a Chihuahuan?  Inez  suggested we
play Raven songs on her i-phone to see how it would react.   First she played
Common Raven and almost immediately the bird in question came  back with what
sounded to our ears an identical phrase.  Ok-good!! problem  solved.  Then
Inez said, " well let me try the Chihuahuan song."   Again we got an
immediate response, again, to our ears, identical!!  Then  the bird gave us a
baleful look and flew to another pine tree in the  distance.  Quoth the Raven-"
That's all you get, its your call".  We  never figured out what it was
finding in the pine trees either.  It foraged  at the base of the needle clumps
and came out with something fairly sizeable  then it would fly to a more
stable perch to eat, it took several bites to  finish.Of course, yesterday was
John's birthday and he may have just been  giving us something else to keep us
thinking!  (A cowbird showed  up at our feeder for the first on so-far only
time in mid winter the morning  after he died). Bill and Inez Prather,
Longmont