I am concerned about the local landowners escalating their confrontations
with us birders.
My concern is that some birder might be perceived as angry at being
harassed like that or threatening to them and provoke
an unwelcome response, such as having a firearm waved around. Don't want
that.

Various approaches have occurred to me, eg,
A)  Writing a letter from an organization like CFO.  Perhaps have a
"Cooling down period," by not stopping at known sensitive spots til we make
contact with the irate men.

B)  Finding a respected community leader  (pastor, neighbor) who can meet
with the landowners, offer to negotiate, meet some of us, ascertain that we
are not Commy Peace-niks, (well many of us are not), aiming to de-escalate.

C)  Knocking on doors, preferably with a friend who is female, as that may
get a better response.
(They shoot horses don't they? Maybe not school teachers).
Asking the owners about their concerns, being sympathetic to them and
reassure them that we are decent people.
Ask them what we can do to appease them.

I like trying some of those, especially B), before us telling the Sheriff
we are on a public road and being harassed.
That might escalate. "YOU called the sheriff on US!!! Where's my gun?"

I do not want to start a long thread, but I, being a pessimist, can see a
dark outcome here unless we are proactive.
You can respond off line if you want.

Joe Roller, Denver