I just finished guiding a group of 7 birders through western Colorado. Some
comments that may be of interest to others:
1. Chukar. We exited I70 onto Hwy 65 (Collbran exit in eastern Mesa County) and
pulled over at the wide pulloff/rest area just off the interstate to the south.
A Chukar was perched at the top of the cliff overlooking the pullout. This was
about 2 pm on 4/22
2. Dusky Grouse. The south rim road at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National
Park had at least 6 Dusky Grouse along the road (plus 5 Wild Turkeys) between
6:10 and 7:50 pm on 4/22.  They put on a great show.
3. Gunnison Sage-Grouse. The only accessible lek, at the Watchable Wildlife
Area on the road to Waunita Hot Springs in southeast Gunnison County, is
flooded by early snowmelt runoff and has been abandoned for the last three
days. We did manage to see several strutting males at a great distance on the
hillside above the lek site at about 7 am on 4/23. Later
in the morning we explored the county roads south of the lek site, in
SaguachCounty.

Sent from my iPhone