I spent 5 hours today at Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson and Douglas Counties),
mostly driving around and taking pictures, but i did some hiking also. I didn't
make it there yesterday but there sure were birds everywhere today. There were
so many sparrows, Lark Buntings, Yellow-rumped Warblers and Mountain Bluebirds
that there could have easily been two or three times as many birds as my
estimates. Here we go:
Chipping Sparrow 450
Lark Sparrow 120
Vesper Sparrow 150
Clay-colored Sparrow 130
Brewer's Sparrow 25
White-crowned Sparrow 47
Lark Bunting 320 many males and females
Mountain Bluebird 139
Western Bluebird 40
Yellow-headed Blackbird 45
Brown-headed Cowbird 34
Western Kingbird 95 Seemed to be very weak. Would hardly move off the roads.
Eastern Kingbird 2
Brewer's Blackbird 16
Barn Swallow 200
Violet-green Swallow 200
Bank Swallow 25
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 20
No Tree Swallows
Spotted Sandpiper 15
Willet 36
American Avocet 7
Yellow-rumped Warbler 215 All over the place especially along edge of lake near
wooded areas, in fields, and flooded areas.
Orange-crowned Warbler 5
Yellow Warbler 2
Northern Waterthrush 1
Ovenbird 1