I joined Toni Rautus and Paul Slingsby for a run up to Crow Valley this
morning.  This trip was from the "A bad day birding beats a good day working"
school of ornithology, as recent sunny, pleasant weather didn't seem to bode
well for any kind of birdiness.  Once again and as usual- wrong.  As we
dismounted our vehicles adjacent to the group picnic shelter, one of the
ubiquitous kingbirds chased something out of its tree.  Bright male Lazuli
Bunting.  A favorable omen.  Still setting the expectation bar quite low, we
set off down the south fenceline, and were immediately rewarded with a
Black-throated Gray Warbler and a female American Redstart, each a highlight in
a tapestry of common warblers, goldfinches, Blue Jays, pewees, backed by a
meadowlark soundtrack.  Not bad.  Heading back down the fenceline to the west,
we had a Gray-cheeked Thrush, a male American Redstart and a Deb Carstensen, in
more or less that order.  We enjoyed the former two and invited the latter to
join us.  After running through an assortment of Bullock's Orioles, Yellow,
Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumped Warblers, Black-headed Grosbeak and a
Cordilleran Flycatcher (am I allowed to call it that in the spring?), we turned
up a Northern Waterthrush.  Hmm.  This may not be so bad after all.....we made
the turn toward the campground and came up with a Virginia's   Warbler, an
Orchard Oriole, a Western Tanager and 765 more Western Kingbirds.  A few
easterns began to appear, mostly toward the north end of the campground.  Turf
war, eastern Jets versus western Sharks?  Moving up toward the northwest corner
(the water is higher than ever, and since we forgot our waterwings, the
southwest corner was off the table), we watched a MacGillivray's Warbler do
some very accommodating flitting among the tangles and floating tumbleweeds,
and followed up with a Black-and-white Warbler.  Then things got interesting.
Amid the cacophony of mocker and thrasher yak, we spotted a Tennessee Warbler
working the willows and some other birders got us on a Magnolia Warbler. While
trying to refind the Mag and figure out a mystery warbler in the treetops (we
called it a female Virginia's and beat a hasty retreat- why won't some of these
things fly away when you need them to?), we stumbled over an adjacent
Nashville.  Not a bad haul for a slow day.  For the cherry on the sundae, Paul
spotted an American Bittern standing in the grass by the flooded areas to the
north.
Deb then headed off to try to photograph the bittern, and Paul departed for
Denver, where a family function was waiting.  Family function.  That guy really
needs to get his priorities straight.
Toni and I decided to sample the usual Weld County Ponds and marshes on the way
home.  Along the way we added Loggerhead Shrike, Burrowing Owl, and a few of
the other usual suspects.  Shorebirds were not plentiful, but 59 Pond had
dowitchers, stilts, avocets and Stilt Sandpipers.  At Loloff the phalarope
numbers were down somewhat but there were still a lot of Wilson's and a few
red-necks (phalaropes, not golf cart vigilantes).  At Latham we had (heard
only) Sora and Virginia Rail, a Great Egret, and the final surprise of the day
in the grassy marshes- six Whimbrel.  I don't think I've seen that many
together before.
Without a formal count (eBird chores later), we ended the day somewhere around
a hundred species.  That'll teach me to dabble in meteorology.......

Norm Lewis
Lakewood, CO