Yesterday and today I watched and photographed a black headed gull at
DeWeese Reservoir which I am about 90% certain was a breeding plumage Laughing
Gull.  I was 100% certain until I read K. Kaufman's caution that some first
summer Franklin's Gulls can resemble an adult Laughing Gull.

The wing pattern of my gull was typical for a Laughing Gull.  The  upper
wing had a gray mantle with white trailing edge and all black tips on the
primaries.  The under wing was white with black on the primaries.  The  head
was solid black; no indication of being a partial hood.  The bill and  head
shape look close to the Laughing Gulls pictured in various field  guides.

I have good photos both profile and flying if someone would like to look at
 them and offer an opinion.  The photos aren't posted anywhere; I would
have  to e-mail them.

A pleasant surprise on the return home was the many dozens Lark Buntings in
 the fields north of Wetmore.  I haven't seen them here in these numbers
for  several years.

Rich Miller
Canon City