Hello, while birding the Poudre Trail on bike today, I spotted over 20
Hooded Mergansers in the gravel pond Northwest of where the trail crosses
Taft Hill Rd. The pond is private property and surrounded by a chain-link
fence but there are a few spots one can get views of the water from the
trail. The viewing conditions were terrible and it was hard to see many
details. However, it appeared that all the birds were either adult females
or young ducks hatched this year! I can't imagine the young ones are
capable of moving very far so, apparently, we have some breeding mergansers
in Northern Colorado.

David Wade
Fort Collins CO