Each morning I walk a 2 mile loop down from our vacation home in Estes Park to
buy the daily newspaper. On this morning's walk I encountered what I can only
describe as a wave of Yellow-rumped Warblers moving through at about 8:00. My
conservative count was 30 birds in 3 minutes, and that was just what I could
see where I was at that point in my walk. The birds were in the trees, in the
bushes, and all over the ground.  Later in the morning, I observed another wave
coming by our house as I stood on the deck. This time it was at least 20 with
Orange-crowned and Townsend's Warblers thrown in. Then this afternoon, after it
turned much colder and began spitting rain, from our deck I observed another
wave of Yellow-rumps with Orange-crowned, Townsend's, and Wilson's thrown in.
I've seen lots of Yellow-rumps and Wilson's on this visit to Estes Park, but
this was the first where they were moving in a consistent direction as a group.
And it's the most I've ever counted at our home. I suspect it is related to the
significant change in the weather that others have discussed. Needless to say,
our feeders have been very busy today too as the seed-eaters stock up.

Jim Nelson
Bethesda, Maryland