Hi all,

A friend and I ventured out to the south side of Pueblo Reservoir State
Wildlife Area today. Near the end of the dirt hunting/fishing access road, we
saw what we determined to be a Sagebrush Sparrow. There seem to be no fall
records of this bird in Pueblo County.

Lifer for both of us, so we observed it closely and studied our field guide at
length. It was a dusty brown sparrow, gray-headed with white eye ring and white
stripes on the throat, a bit smaller and more slender than a nearby
White-crowned Sparrow, and fairly long-tailed. We watched it run down the road
in front of the car for some distance with its tail held almost straight up,
ducking in and out of roadside rabbitbrush. It also flicked its tail at times.
Enchanting bird!! No photos, sorry.

The southside SWA is west of Pueblo, off Hwy 96 appx. 7 miles west of its
intersection with Pueblo Blvd. (aka Hwy 45).

Cheers,
Margie Joy
Pueblo West, CO