Nic Korte and I spent the day scouting for The Thanksgiving Waterfowl trip
this Saturday.  We had one of those memorable birding experiences that one
never forgets this afternoon.

We were driving from Highline Lake on the east side (where the offices &
campground are located) to the west side and Mack Mesa area on R Road.  As
we crossed the little stream below the dam I slowed the car down and we
looked at the ducks in the stream.  Nic said "There's our Green-winged Teal
(we didn't have one for the day)" as a flock of Mallards and 4 Green-wings
took flight.  "Wait a minute, there's a snipe."  "What's that blackbird on
the ground just above the snipe.  In the next 30 minutes we witnessed the
following in that one little muddy area next to the stream with our binocs
and then our scopes.
RUSTY BLACKBIRD
Wilson's Snipe
Virginia Rail (2)
SORA
Marsh Wren
Song Sparrow (several)

The Rusty soon left the mud flat and flew upstream into dense cover.  The
Wilson's Snipe stayed in the same location feeding the entire time, while
the 2 Virginia Rails, Sora, and Marsh Wren would dart out from the heavy
cover to feed on the mud flat briefly, then dart back to cover before
emerging again.  Several times all the birds could be seen at the same
time. We watched this action for about 30 minutes from 3:30 to 4.

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County