Hello,

Just to start, let me say, no rarities -- just many old friends on a day of
changing weather (Saturday).

The lake status update at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR:   After our early
November deep-freeze, Lake Mary, Lake Ladora and the Havana Ponds are
completely frozen and ice covered.  I did not hike out to the Rod and Gun Ponds
-- but would presume that since they are small ponds/lakes, they are frozen
over as well.  Not much bird-action happening at these ice-covered lakes though
I did see deer, prairie dog and coyote.

However, there is still significant open water at Lower Derby Lake -- which is
visible from 6th Avenue (64th Avenue).  This lake is closed to public walking
access around the lake, but is easily visible from the paved road.   Binoculars
or a spotting scope definitely help.

Canada Geese (thousands) and Mallards (many) -- and a very vocal group at that.
 However, as might be expected, there were many others mixed in including
American Wigeon, Gadwall, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Common
Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Blue-winged Teal,
Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler (scores), Snow Goose (1 stand out among the
Canada Geese), Pied-billed Grebe, American Coot (scores) and Ring-billed Gull
(scores).   What kept it all interesting were the Bald Eagles -- one mature
adult and 5 immature adults.  As one might imagine, their passes over open
water were quite a spectacle.  At one point, on the ice-shelf at water's edge,
there were 6 Bald Eagles in various stages of maturity including one stunning
mature Bald Eagle.   At the inlet to Lake Ladora just below Lower Derby Lake, I
did see a Belted Kingfisher.

Elsewhere at RMANWR, I did see American Robin, Starling, Black-billed Magpie,
Red-tailed Hawk and Mourning Dove.  I was hoping to see at least a few sparrows
or finches -- but none seen today (seems strange -- perhaps our unseasonable
cold weather plays a role).  Thanks for everyone's great reports -- I'm
indebted to everyone here.

Ben Kemena
Denver, Colorado