Birders,

I visited Adobe Creek Reservoir (Bent and Kiowa Counties) today. The current
cold spell makes the lake look positively arctic, and the lake is 100
percent frozen. Snow covers the ground, but the roads are clear, and easily
negotiated when temperatures are below freezing (and we're on quite a streak
of that out my way).

Still, there are some interesting birds to be found, especially in the seep
below the dam. Today, I saw two Rusty Blackbirds from the dam at the outlet,
sharing a bit of open water with two Wilson's Snipe. Drive west on  Bent
County Road UU from Road 10 until you get to the spillway, and look
downstream.

Yesterday, I birded in Lamar (Prowers County) with Janeal Thompson. We had
an adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in Willow Creek Park, north of Lamar
Community College. At LCC, we saw three Northern Cardinals, one
White-throated Sparrow, and one male Red-bellied Woodpecker at or near the
feeder on the south side of the woods.

Happy New Year!

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO