Thanks for publishing the interesting replies, Hugh.  I'll share this
anecdote: the first goshawk I ever saw was on a CBC in my hometown of Sioux
Falls, South Dakota, where goshawks are extremely rare and Fox Squirrels
are abundant.  It was the squirrel's behavior that tipped me off about a
raptor in the area: it was frozen on the underside of a diagonal branch,
not moving a muscle, as though terrified for its life.  Sure enough,
moments later an adult Gos came shooting up the edge of the woods. So that
squirrel, at least, showed a very distinct fear of goshawks.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder