I went out on a circle around nearby sites this afternoon, mostly to scout a
route for an upcoming museum birdwalk, but certainly keeping an eye open for
anything notable.  There were a few birds of interest here and there, but the
most interesting things I found were assemblages- who was present, and who
wasn't.
I started at the South Platte at 78th Ave., where most of the usual suspects
were present, including zillions of shovelers, bazillions of goldeneye, and
unlikely-sounding numbers of the regulars.  The male Barrow's goldeneye was
hanging out with commons in the customary spot near the big water tank.  There
were also good numbers of pintails, which seemed somewhat restless.  A flock of
a half dozen flew continuously up and down the river while everyone else mostly
just hung out.  Of note: I saw not a singer ring-neck, redhead, canvasback or
hooded merg.
>From there it was on to Rocky Mountain Arsenal. An open area at the north end
>of Lake Ladora had approximately four hundred redheads, sixty ring-necked
>ducks, eight hooded mergs and one canvasback.  Apparently I had discovered the
>Land of Missing Duckage. A small open area on nearby Lower Derby Lake had
>thirty canvasbacks and not much else.  Go figure.
The most interesting bird there was an odd red-tail.  There always seem to be a
few dark red-tails along the road out to the east part of the refuge, and today
I saw at least two.  I got a mediocre look at one of the birds as it flew away
at some distance.  It was an overall dark bird, and had a white tail with a red
margin.  This doesn't fit any of the morphs/races of red-tail that I am
familiar with.  Unfortunately, no chance for a picture. It was either an
unusual bird or I was hallucinating, which is certainly not out of the
question.  Maybe it's time for my monthly meds adjustment.....
After a quick look at Bluff Lake/Sand Creek, I circled back in the direction of
the museum and decided to have a quick look at the lakes there. Ferril Lake was
frozen and empty, so I popped over to Duck Lake to check on the cormorant
colony.  At least fifty birds are back on nests. There is a very small patch of
open water at the northeast corner of the lake, and upon taking a quick peek in
the dying light, I spotted a female black scoter swimming with a few coots.
With another frigid night coming up, the open puddle may be gone by tomorrow.
Unfortunately, it was almost dark by the time I found the bird- too late to do
a quick post.  If the water stays open at all, the bird may still be there in
the morning.

Norm Lewis
Lakewood, CO