Hi all,
   Last weekend I was gardening and noticed our Ribes aureum flowers were
just opening in our garden. These are usually our indicator plants.
   On Monday I was pretty sure I heard a BT hummer but never saw it so went
ahead and put out our feeders. Today Joel says that there were at least 2
males hanging out in a large shrub next to our deck, but he did not see
them go to the feeders all day - just kind of hung out in the shrub
(Cercocarpus ledifolius about 15' tall)
   Well - while I was writing this we just had one come to a feeder at 7
pm, temp 31 F!
  Our previous FOY dates:
2000: 4/21
2001: 4/26
20002: 4/16
2003: 4/22
2004: 4/17
2005: 4/15
2006: 4/14
2007: 4/16
2008:4/16
2009: 4/24
2010: 4/23
2011: 4/30
2012: 4/23
2013: 4/24
2014: 4/17

So obviously this is the earliest first-of-year sighing for us in the 16
years we've been recording. We live in a rural neighborhood of 50 homes in
the foothills west of Fort Collins, and it's fun to share observations with
people close by who are also paying attention.
--
Pat Hayward
Masonville CO