Hannah Espy and I headed out to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and
Preserve out in Alamosa County this weekend for a camping trip.  I squeezed
some birding in while there and had the following highlights.  Thanks to
Ted Floyd for his very in-depth post about the area last week.

Great Sand Dunes NP campground:
Surprisingly little activity.  Only a few *Mountain Chickadees* and *Mountain
Bluebirds *hanging around and no owls heard either night.  The abundance of
people might keep most things away.  The lunar eclipse over the dunes was
pretty spectacular but very cold.

Great Sand Dunes Preserve Primitive road:
*Clark's Nutcrackers* and *Pinyon Jays* were everywhere on 4/5 on a brief
hike both north and south of the parking lot before the road becomes 4x4
access only.  We also had both* Red* and* White-breasted Nuthatches.*

Zapata Falls:
We had a few *Pinyon Jays* fly over and one *Western Scrub-Jay* near the
base of the road on 4/4.  The falls are frozen right now and look amazing.
 Worth a visit even if you don't see too much on the 1/4 mile hike to the
falls.  I did not hear any owls at the trailhead or along the drive up from
5:15-5:45 am on 4/5.

Zapata Ranch:
What a difference ~1/2 mile can make.  A visit to the gate at 5:15 AM and
5:45 AM on 4/5 produced zero owls seen or heard.  I had a pretty good view
of the creek system and lodge from where I was, but the wind was pretty
high, making it hard to hear if there were any calling in the distance.
>From the gate we did have *Pinyon Jays *and *Bushtits * at around 4:00 pm
on 4/4

Ln 6:
I finally got a *Great Horned Owl* hovering (didnt know they would do that)
in the wind over an ag field just East of Mosca at dawn on 4/5.  There was
a raptor-sized nest on the southeast corner of the field, but it was too
distant to see if it was occupied.  I then headed east along LN 6 and saw
many *Sage Thrashers.  *They were present at every stop I made.  At one I
even had four perched on 4 adjacent sagebrush/rabbitbrush.  Many were
singing which made locating them rather easy.  I also had two singing (and
seen) *Sagebrush Sparrows*, one at either end of the road.  There were
probably more out there, but the wind was still pretty high at that point.
 At the entrance to San Luis State Park, I had my only *Eurasian
Collared-Dove* of the trip.   I also had what I thought was a *Northern
Shrike *(late?) at the canal crossing (there is a structure, un-used raptor
nest, and a cattle guard there), but did not see Ted's Loggerhead.  At the
same canal I had a single *Brewer's Blackbird* and around 12 *Green-winged
Teal. * I hopefully have a decent enough picture of the shrike, but I
haven't had a chance to go through my photos.  About 1 mile north of the
East end of LN 6, towards the Sand Dunes, Hannah and I had an adult *Golden
Eagle* eating what appeared to be a roadkilled deer on the side of the
road.  There were *Common Ravens* on the same carcass on 4/4.

On the drive home yesterday (4/5) we stopped by El Paso county for *Mountain
Plovers.  *We did not see any at the Milne Road location, but did see two
*Burrowing
Owls* and a pair of *Killdeer* there.  On the drive out from I-25 we also
found a *Loggerhead Shrike* perched on a wire.  After striking out at
Milne, we headed over to the school ruins at Squirrel Creek Road and
Squirrel Creek Place.  Somewhere along the way (not sure exactly where we
were) we flushed a *Ferruginous Hawk* from the roadside.  At the school
ruins were had more Burrowing Owls.  They were spread out with single birds
seen on all sides of the road (about 6 total).  On the east side of the
road, north of the ruins and south of the lone tree out there, we did have
a pair of Mountain Plovers.  They were foraging about 50 yards from the
roadside.  With mission success, we headed back to the highway through
Fountain and did not stop at the cowfield at Squirrel Creek and Ellicot
Hwy.  Somewhere west of there, as we neared Fountain we drove past a pond
where I noticed 5 *American Avocets* and at least one male *Cinnamon Tea*l,
but we did not stop.  In Fountain proper, we rounded out the trip with 5 (
*Wild*) *Turkeys* walking across a field.

All in all, we had a blast and got four lifers: Mountain Plover, Pinyon
Jay, Sagebrush Sparrow, and Sage Thrasher.

Bill Blackburn
Broomfield, CO