I've been remiss in posting on local happenings for many months, so here goes
an attempt at a run-down of the highlights, starting with the most recent
observations.  Since January I've been doing daily hikes up Horsetooth Mountain
(turning around where the Horsetooth Rock trail and South Ridge trail join
together, roughly 1/2 mile before the top), which has provided a nice
opportunity for birding by ear, although I think I'll start to bring binoculars
as its finally starting to get more interesting.

Today at Horsetooth Mtn Park I heard and saw my first LAZULI BUNTING of the
year, as well as my first LARK SPARROW of the year.   I am fairly sure I heard
a VIRGINIA'S WARBLER chip as well, but it only called once and I could not
confirm the ID.  Also today, a flock of 20+ Audubon's YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS
added some nice color and movement to the ponderosa pine forest which has been
mostly devoid of birds for the last 4 months. That's not completely true as
Chipping Sparrows and Spotted Towhees have been trickling in over the last 10
days or so, and their numbers continue to build.  Surprisingly, the first
Towhees did not arrive until the 20th of April.  Some years the first ones
arrive by end of March.

Yesterday I had a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH along this same hike, most certainly a
migrant as it had not been detected here all year (and was not heard today).

On April 28, I had  PLUMBEOUS VIREO singing below the main trail near the first
bench, but it has not been heard since.  Also on that day I had a RED-NAPED
SAPSUCKER and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, neither of which breed in this part of the
park.
On April 25, I woke up to a distant NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL calling.  A new yard
bird, although technically not in the yard, I still count it since it was heard
from the yard.  Also on this day, TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS arrived, along
with BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS.  A push of WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS also came through
this day, and smaller numbers have persisted daily.

On April11, my first BROAD-TAILED HUMMINGBIRD was seen in the yard, although
since I just returned from a trip that day, its possible they arrived even
earlier.  The females arrived last weekend (Apr 25).
Earlier in April (sorry, no date!) I had a singing BROWN CREEPER come through
Horsetooth Mountain Park, it too moved on after only a day.

Looking forward to seeing more migrants in the days to come.  No Poorwills yet,
although Great Horned Owls are quite active at night.   Good birding to all,
Arvind Panjabi
5700' feet, Larimer County, CO
On the north slope of Milner Mtn
Mountain mahogany shrubland and grassland