COBirds,

Wandered a bit through Larimer County (and a few meters into Weld Co.) this
afternoon from about noon to 5pm enjoying the birds and spring rain. 98% of
birding was done from inside the car, considering the rainy, chilly, and at
times, windy conditions.  Forgot it was the official big day date, else
maybe I would have gotten started earlier and planned the day better. Maybe
not though, crappy weather.

Started off scanning "Duck Lake" (according to google maps), south side of
CR 32 near the southwest corner of Fossil Creek Reservoir. This little pond
has been quite birdy lately. Lots of Ruddy Ducks, Shovelers, two pairs of
Eared Grebes, some gulls, some distant flyby shorebirds, etc.

Then off to Timnath Reservoir, but on the way I had to stop and scan the
cattail marsh at the NE corner of CR 13 and CR 78 (across the county line
into WELD), which was full of screeching Red-winged and Yellow-headed
Blackbirds, at least a couple Great-tailed Grackles, calling Virginia
Rail(s), and a Black-necked Stilt.

Timnath Res. had a few ducks at the marshy eastern edge, including the
day's only Ring-necked Ducks.  Lark Sparrows were feeding in the main
parking lot, with one alternate Horned Grebe and thousands of swallows
(Barn, Tree, Cliff, Violet-green at least) fighting the wind inches over
the water. A couple Lark Buntings flushed on the drive out.

Without having much of a plan, I headed back to town and then north on Hwy
1/Terry Lake Road/CR 15 in hopes of flooded fields full of birds.  Well it
sure ain't Texas, but I did have a very pleasant and birdy drive north
towards Wyoming.  Best birding was along CR 15 between Douglas Reservoir
and Soapstone Prairie Natural Area, as there is more unplowed natural
grassland along this stretch. Soapstone Prairie is temporarily closed so I
had to turn around, but drove nice and slow as the area hosted Sage
Thrasher, Cassin's Kingbirds, dozens of Spizellas (good mix of Chipping,
Brewer's, Clay-colored), a couple Lark Buntings and Vesper Sparrows, and at
least 8 (!) Loggerhead Shrikes.

Ended the day with just over 60 species, with a boatload of notable misses,
having not walked any wooded areas or foothills. Not a single crow or raven
all day, not a single warbler, etc etc.  Still a great day of spring
birding!!!

Also one Black-tailed Jackrabbit and one big 'ol buck Pronghorn Antelope
just south of the Soapstone Prairie locked gate.

Species list with rough totals for the day:

Canada Goose - 30
Gadwall - 10
Mallard - 5
Blue-winged Teal - 5
Cinnamon Teal - 2
Northern Shoveler - 60
Ring-necked Duck - 2
Lesser Scaup - 25
Ruddy Duck - 60
Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Horned Grebe - 1
Eared Grebe - 4
Western Grebe - 50
Double-crested Cormorant - 2
American White Pelican - 50
Great Blue Heron - 5
Turkey Vulture - 3
Osprey - 1
Bald Eagle - 2
Swainson's Hawk - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Virginia Rail - 1
American Coot - 10-20
Black-necked Stilt - 1
Killdeer - 2
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
shorebird sp. - 10 (distant flybys)
Bonaparte's Gull - 1
Franklin's Gull - 6
gull sp. - 20 (RBGU/CAGU, too distant to bother)
Rock Pigeon - 5
Eurasian Collared-Dove - 20
Mourning Dove - 20
Northern Flicker - 1
American Kestrel - 3
Say's Phoebe - 4-6
Cassin's Kingbird - 3
Western Kingbird - 4
Loggerhead Shrike - 8
Blue Jay - 3
Horned Lark - 2
Tree Swallow - hundreds
Violet-green Swallow - few
Barn Swallow - hundreds
Cliff Swallow - hundreds
American Robin - a few
Sage Thrasher - 1
European Starling
Chipping Sparrow - dozens
Clay-colored Sparrow - several
Brewer's Sparrow - dozens
Vesper Sparrow - 6
Lark Bunting - 5
Lincoln's Sparrow - 2
White-crowned Sparrow - 3
Red-winged Blackbird - dozens in marshes
Western Meadowlark - a couple dozen at most, not a ton
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 20
Brewer's Blackbird - 50
Common Grackle - 10
Great-tailed Grackle - 2+