Hi Scott,

I'm curious - how does the song you heard compare to this recording:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/205952

I made this recording in the exact same area as you were today, just last
year around this time. If it sounds like this, it could very well be the
same individual. Read the additional notes at the link for more info on the
song type and what someone who studies this bird in depth had to say about
it. In sum, the bird could certainly be genotypically pure (to the extent
that we define such things) and yet sing a song like this. It's really hard
to know just from hearing and seeing the bird in the field, apparently! In
any case, thanks for commenting on what you heard at the park today.

Thanks,
Eric

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Scott Somershoe <ssomers...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I easily relocated the Blue-winged Warbler this afternoon at Welchester
> Tree Park (Jeff Co) at the previously noted location on the northeast side
> of the park, however he was singing a mostly Golden-winged Warbler song the
> entire 15 min I watched him (or was in range of him).  He only sang the
> last 3 notes of the "Bee buzz buzz buzz" of the Golden-winged Warbler
> song.  Although he is phenotypically a Blue-winged, I'm sure he has some
> Golden-winged genes in him.  The species regularly hybridize where they
> overlap and I've seen both species sing a spot on song of the other species
> in Tennessee (where both breed and there is occasional hybridization).
> I've mostly seen Golden-winged sing a perfect Blue-winged song and have
> only seen 1 or 2 Blue-winged's sing a Golden-winged song.  He's still a
> Blue-winged, but I doubt he's a pure bird.  I need to go back and get a
> recording of this guy!
>
> Cheers,
> Scott Somershoe
> Littleton, CO