Had my first Common Nighthawk of the year in the foothills north of Boulder.  I
took a look at eBird reports for the state and was shocked to see most of the
reports are of single birds, only occasionally 2 or more.  As others have
commented, I have memories of large numbers in the past.  One of those memories
is at the state capital building in Madison, Wisconsin on a hot summer night
where the floodlights on the building would attract large numbers of bugs which
in turn would attract large numbers of nighthawks.  What has happened to the
nighthawk population?
David Waltman
Boulder