Scott and All,

First off, DO NOT strictly rely on the "Hide from eBird Output" option on the
checklist menu. The help feature of eBird has repeated examples where users
have clicked the hide option only to find their checklist visible on the
"explore a region" feature. While that may be fixed now, the absolute safest
option is to make a note of the species and wait a little while to enter it.

Secondly, the way eBird is currently setup is actually quite good when it comes
to sensitive species reporting. While there are species that are "sensitive"
everywhere in their range, plenty of species are not. Some are sensitive only
at specific locations. For the most part, I would not consider an owl that is
seen in a rural area away from its nest to be at risk. I think most would agree
that a bird at a nest is at risk of disturbance. I think that eBird could make
the issue a little better, but it would be a long way from implementation.

Sean Walters
Fort Collins, CO