Yesterday I decided to do some birding east of Colorado Springs after an
appointment in town and as I drove on Squirrel Creek Rd I heard a
Dickcissel.  When I turned around and drove back I found at least 4 and
likely 6 Dickcissels were singing actively in sunflower fields on both
sides of the road (would seem to indicate they are guarding territory and
that females are likely nesting in there). Though I didn't remember reading
about Dickcissels along Squirrel Creek Rd in posts here this year, I
subsequently found a post recently by Stephen Getty of a singing Dickcissel
on Milne Rd about 1 km south of Squirrel Creek Rd in an overgrown lot.  The
location I saw the Dickcissels yesterday was several miles from Milne Rd.
On ebird there was a sighting of 3 Dickcissels much further west at
Squirrel Creek Res.  The location I had them was east of Williams Creek
(there aren't many crossroads out there).   I will look thru more online
maps to see if I can pin the location down better.  I got a couple of pics
of one of the Dickcissels that I have uploaded onto my Birds and Nature blog
<http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/> along with discussion about the use
of sunflower habitat.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City