Since there's been some discussion re: access to Timnath Reservoir (Larimer
Co), I thought I should mention:
Taking the dirt road entrance to the parking area on the south end, I was
met by a Timnath Department Of Public Works employee named Ron, with a
clipboard, monitoring visitor activity. As I stumbled out of my truck with
binoculars, camera, and scope he asked if I was a Timnath resident. I
replied no, I was just looking for birds, and he said that the only people
allowed access to the area were residents And birders. He asked if I was an
Audubon member and seemed pleased with a yes answer, we then had a nice
discussion about bird activity in the area and I told him about birders
that might show up who are associated with CFO, DFO, ABA, etc. and his
comment was "I want to make it clear that all birders are welcome." Some of
you Northern Colorado folks might already know about this monitoring
scenario and the apparent green light given to birders, I'm posting my
experience as a general FYI. I had American Pipits along the shoreline, due
to recent back surgery I was unable to tromp around the dam looking for
exotic Plovers etc.

On the way home I had a Great Egret, a Snowy Egret, and a Cattle Egret near
each other for good comparison at the West side Firestone Gravel Pond (Weld
Co). At the East side pond there was a massive accumulation of Cliff
Swallows, probably 450, kind of swarming around a clump of bushes in a
frenzy, with a few Barn Swallows mixed in. As I watched through my scope, a
Peregrine Falcon did a stunning dive to break up the gathering but came up
empty.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO