Hi all,
   We had decided our last hummingbird sighting was on 10/2 after going
several days with only one seen briefly each day, then none at all for
several days. So we took down the feeders and dumped the last of the sugar
water in the fridge. Low and behold 4 days later a single hummingbird
showed up and has been here off and on for three days now. We have LOADS of
late-blooming Salvia greggii (WIld THing and Raspberry Ice) and Salvia
darcyi (Vermilion Bluffs) along with a scattering of other Salvia (mostly
southwestern species) also in full bloom so there seems to be plenty of
high quality nectar for it here. Please keep that in mind if you're
planning habitat gardens - these late-season bloomers are often overlooked
at garden centers but are critical for those last-of-season hummers.
-Pat

Pat Hayward
5387' Masonville CO
Just west of Horsetooth Reservoir and down the hill from Arvind Panjabi
Larimer County