The *Red-necked Grebe* continues (assuming it is the same) at Chatfield SP.
Early this morning it was near the dam among about 500 Western Grebes. 2
*Sanderlings* flew in to the Marina sandspit, and a late *Spotted Sandpiper*
(with a hurt leg or foot) was on the Marina tires. These shorebirds later
disappeared when an unusually low-flying hot air balloon drifted over and
scattered all the birds in the sandspit area. I saw the Sanderlings fly
around the point heading toward the Platte inlet, while the Spotty seemed
to just move into the boat basin. No other birds of special note at the
reservoir that I saw but I enjoyed *Hooded Mergansers* in several spots,
plus a *Bald Eagle*. A *Western Scrub-Jay *at the Old Heronry Overlook was
good for that spot. *Gray-headed Juncos *on the sandspit were a form I
haven't seen in the park too often. Three straggling *Chipping Sparrows *there,
too.

I went to Red Rocks Trading Post to see if the Golden-crowned Sparrow might
have returned. I did not see that sparrow, but a *White-throated Sparrow *was
in the drainage below the Trading Post. Singing *Townsend's Solitaires*
were ubiquitous, and a *Prairie Falcon* cruised over.

In my Ken Caryl yard a tardy young male *Broad-tailed Hummingbird *made a
short appearance at one of the feeders I have left out. The last I noticed
was on 10/12.

A little reflection on what birds might think or feel...yesterday a
juvenile male *Cooper's Hawk *was under fire from a mob of 20-25 *magpies*
at Massey Draw near my home. They had the hawk "trapped" in a large
juniper, and then in other nearby trees. The hawk would try to fly out and
the fluster of magpies immediately drove it cackling back into the tree.
This went on for about 40 minutes. The hawk didn't seem to know how to get
away, and the magpies, clearly with nothing better to do, were relentless.
So I wondered what the hawk might be thinking or feeling. Did it feel
bullied, or tormented, or annoyed, or desperate, or just mad? Being a young
hawk, I imagine it might have felt hungry, and maybe it was thinking it
might like to eat one of those big magpies. One day...one day.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO