Mary et al,
A few years ago I was told Kevin Cook along the Poudre River in Fort Collins in
early winter discovered multiple stub-tailed wrens (not sure whether they were
Winter or Pacific but I know Nathan Pipelow confirmed by call a bird in this
same exact area as a Winter) going into a Bullock's Oriole nest at dusk!  The
oriole nest was 20 feet over snowberry/river bank forest floor where the birds
spent their day.

During the White-winged Crossbill nesting episode at Grandview Cemetery in Fort
Collins in the spring of 2010, I watched the male go to sleep in a Colorado
Blue Spruce out along the Fairway #4 of nearby City Park Nine golf course.
This tree was about 75 yards southwest of the Colorado Blue Spruce nest tree
where the female was presumably spending the night brooding nestlings.  I had
followed the male into the aforementioned tree and actually had it in my scope
when it settled and then closed its eyes.  In the dim light I could see its
mandibles moving, as people move their lips when talking in their sleep or
having a bad dream.  Wondering about this, I checked Craig Benkman's BNA
account and it states crossbills are known to pull up spruce seeds stored in
their crop for supplemental nourishment during the night.  I think that's what
I saw.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins