Hello birders,

Here’s a controversial topic: Is it okay to feed a Snowy Owl to get a
better look, get a better photo? Seems cruel to throw live mice toward an
owl, at least for the mice. And obviously one should not feed an owl a
poisoned rodent. But apparently there are arguments on the other side,
because the ABA’s Recording Standards and Ethic Committee has not ruled one
way or the other, as far as I know. Here’s from the October, 2015 “Birder’s
Guide to Listing & Taxonomy.” Nick Block of the RSEC said, “….Another issue
concerns the feeding of owls, particularly wintering Snowy and Great Gray
owls. As you may know, the debate over this practice is a giant can of
worms, but it may be one the at RSEC needs to open. We shall see.”

I don’t plan to feed or bait a Snowy owl. Regarding an owl near DIA, I
don’t think anyone should encourage it to stay near the airport by feeding
it. Airport managers don’t want them around.

I think we can all agree that it is wrong to flush any owl by approaching
too closely. Let’s give Snowy Owls as much room as they want. If the owl
stirs, back off. And of course, stay off private property.

Best,

Tom Wilberding

Boulder