Since my original plans of going to the CSU basketball game didn't work
out, I only had a scope and neither binoculars or a camera when I decided
to run around the northern part of the county this afternoon.  A quick walk
around the Plant Environmental Research Center on campus failed to produce
the Tennessee Warbler or American Woodcock that most of us assumed had
moved on.  It is always a good idea to check though.  College Lake
(restricted access on the CSU Foothills Campus) had a Lesser Black-backed
Gull yesterday, but nothing too exciting today.

After a quick stop at the office, I decided to keep birding and head north
to Douglas Reservoir.  On my third scan of the lake I spotted an adult Mew
Gull within a reasonable range of shore.  Other interesting birds present
included several Bonaparte's Gulls and a Pied-billed Grebe.  After Douglas
I decided to take a gamble and see whether Rawhide was open.  Luckily, it
was open and well worth the drive!  While counting the many Eared Grebes, a
Red-necked Grebe swam in front of the flock I was watching.  I also found a
Pacific Loon up against the shore that was straight out from the
observation deck looking towards the big tower.  Overall, there were decent
numbers of ducks and grebes, but not too many gulls.

Good Birding!
Andy Bankert
Fort Collins