Birders,

This morning, as I drove past Lake Hasty, below the dam of John Martin Reservoir, it took a couple of seconds for me to register that I was looking at a bird that should not be in Colorado this time of year. I backed up and pulled off the road, and confirmed not one, but five White-faced Ibis. After taking a few pictures, I called Brandon Percival to see if there were any previous winter records for Colorado. He recounted one possible winter record. He pulled up reports and found a report of one White-faced Ibis "count week" from Monte Vista.

If these birds persist, they would be eligible for "count week" status on Saturday, December 12th, and be "official" if they remain until December 15th. I checked again this afternoon, and at least one was still present at 2:20, but it flew off to the east.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO