I had two areas to cover in this year's Spring Bird Count. Foothills
Audubon Bird Club covers the Longmont, Berthoud, Loveland, Ft. Collins
areas. We covered west of Longmont from Hwy 287 to Hwy36, between Hwy 52
and Hwy 66. Like I said, a BIG area!

Although my count partner and I didn't have the banner year that the
Sapsucker Woods team had on their Big Day in the northeast (232 sp!!!), we
had a very good count with 92 species IDed and one flycatcher specie not
positively IDed because it flew. (Dang those birds!!)

Our highlight was a female Blackpoll Warbler seen just north of the 49th
Street bridge, west of Haystack Golf Course. She was foraging in a big old
cottonwood.

A Wood Duck in a small ditch in the Lake Valley neighborhood was a treat,
but the best of all was a Burrowing Owl that Mary Jane flushed off the road
(!) at the entrance to Lagerman Reservoir early Saturday evening as she was
driving home. This is great news because BUOWs had been nesting SW of
Lagerman, but in recent years, the land owner there disked all the prairie
dog holes. I'm hoping the bird Mary Jane saw has found habitat in the dog
towns on county land north and east of Lagerman, or across the road on the
old Double Dove Ranch, now in county ownership.

If anyone sees this bird, please let Michelle Durant with Boulder County
know so she can keep tabs on the bird. mdur...@bouldercounty.org

Kat Bradley-Bennett, Longmont